There are more than 1,000 class action lawsuits filed in the United States each year. With so many cases, it may seem like there’s a claim for just about every topic. In fact, class action lawsuits play an important role in our society.
Class action lawsuits allow victims to pursue justice efficiently in the legal system. Where they may not have the economic resources to bring their own claim, it can make sense for individuals to join together. Countless products have been made safer through class action legal claims. Here’s what you need to know from our Colorado class action attorneys:
List of Major Class Action Lawsuits and Settlements in 2021
Here is a list of the 10 most significant class action lawsuits and settlements in 2021 so far:
- T-Mobile1 – A data breach of T-Mobile customer data revealed social security numbers, birth dates and other personal information. Litigants claim that the company failed to protect customers’ personal information, exposing them to an increased risk of identity theft. This breach may impact more than 100 million customers. They seek injunctive relief, damages, restitution and interest.
- Kellogg Cereals2 – Cereal maker Kellogg has agreed to a $13 million settlement to resolve accusations of inaccurate labeling. The litigants claim that the company improperly labeled certain products as heart-healthy and lightly sweetened even though the products had significant amounts of sugar. The settlement does not include an admission of liability. The average award to each individual is expected to be about $16.09.
- Apple – Siri Privacy3 – Victims allege that Siri listened to private conversations and then released the information gathered to third parties. They say that they would be talking about a topic and then receive targeted ads related to these private conversations. They say Siri accessed personal topics about everything from sexual encounters to drug deals. They say the invasion of privacy violated federal and state privacy laws.
- EpiPen4 – Consumers sought answers when the price of an EpiPen increased from $100 to $600 over a 10-year period. They found manufacturing companies allegedly rewarded insurers and Medicaid with kickbacks for refusing to cover competing medicines. The claim resulted in a $345 million settlement.
- Windex Glass Cleaners5 – The $1.3 million class action claim against Windex alleges false advertising in Windex Original Glass Cleaner and other products. Consumers may claim up to $1 for each product with a receipt and may even make a limited claim for products purchased without a receipt. The suit’s basis is that the products were allegedly non-toxic when consumers say they contain substances that can cause health problems when exposure occurs.
- City of Beverly Hills Police Department6 – When the Operation Safe Street and Rodeo Drive Task Force resulted in arrests of 106 individuals, all minorities, victims decided to take action. They are seeking compensation for what they say is racially charged harassment over minor offenses like roller skating, scooters and jaywalking. They say many of the violations were never charged for lack of evidence. The lawsuit alleges a history of racial profiling by the police department.
- Wawa7 – Wawa stores agreed to a $9 million settlement over a data breach that revealed customer data. As part of the settlement, the company must implement improved data security measures.
- Syracuse University8 – A data breach exposed the names and social security numbers of 10,000 students, alumni and applicants. The claim alleged poor training for workers handling sensitive information and inadequate safeguards of private data. A plaintiff began investigating when an unauthorized charge was made to his credit card.
- Baby Food9 – Parents have joined together to bring a legal claim alleging that certain baby food products contain heavy metals such as arsenic, lead, cadmium and mercury. The suit calls for increased testing of finished products. They say that parents of young children are not expecting to find these metals in baby foods available on store shelves. They allege false labeling and failure to disclose material facts.
- Hawaii Prisons10 – Inmates in Hawaii prisons have brought a class action lawsuit claiming that the Department of Public Safety implemented poor protocols in response to COVID-19 dangers.
2021 Class Action Lawsuits – FAQs
What is a class action lawsuit?
A class action lawsuit is a type of legal claim where many plaintiffs join together. The plaintiffs have common issues that can be litigated through one proceeding. The parties agree to resolve the issues together, and the defendant needs to respond only once. The purpose of a class action lawsuit is to make litigation more efficient and allow victims access to justice.
What happens in a class action?
In a class action, a plaintiff represents all of the victims in the case. They pursue the claim much as they would individually by gathering evidence and following legal motions. However, when they make a decision to resolve the case, they act on behalf of all members of the class.
The parties still have all of the same rights to a trial, to collect evidence and motion the court. Mediation is usually a critical part of any class action claim as the victim represents the interests of a large group. An individual victim has the right to refuse to join the class action claim and pursue a case independently.
Can I sue a company for an unsafe product that injured me?
Yes. As a consumer, you can sue for damages and compensation when you’re hurt by a defective product. The manufacturer becomes liable if the product is unsafe.
What are the different types of civil lawsuits?
Class action lawsuits are just one type of civil lawsuit you can bring to seek justice. Other types of civil suits include personal injury tort claims, property disputes, contract disputes and divorce and family law disputes.
What’s the best way to go about suing a company?
If you think you may have a class action lawsuit against a company, contact an experienced personal injury attorney to talk about your case. They can evaluate your individual claim as well as help you understand if it is appropriate to seek class-action status. There are state and federal rules of procedure to follow in order to certify a class action claim.
What type of lawyer do I need to sue a company?
It’s best to work with an experienced personal injury lawyer or civil litigator with expertise in business law and class action lawsuits if your goal is to seek damages from a company.
What qualifies a lawsuit as a class action suit?
Common interests, the number of victims and adequacy of representation are all critical factors that the court considers when deciding whether to certify a class. If appropriate, your attorney can take the steps needed to certify a class and formally group the common claims together. Your attorney can ensure that your personal interests are protected as well as determining if it’s best to move forward with a class action.
Personal Injury Attorneys for Class Action Lawsuits and Settlements
Our attorneys for class action lawsuits and settlements are accepting new claims. If you believe you may qualify, contact us today for a review of your case.
1Collins, Katie. (20 August 2021). T-Mobile data breach: More than 50 million people now affected. CNET. Retrieved 15 September from https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/t-mobile-data-breach-more-than-50-million-people-now-affected/
2The National Law Review. (26 August 2021). Pop-Tarts Challenged for Fruit Content. Retrieved 15 September from https://www.natlawreview.com/article/pop-tarts-challenged-fruit-content
3Stempel, Jonathan. (2 September 2021). Apple must face Siri voice assistant privacy lawsuit -U.S. judge. Reuters. Retrieved 15 September 2021 from https://www.reuters.com/technology/apple-must-face-siri-voice-assistant-privacy-lawsuit-us-judge-2021-09-02/
4Gombossy, George. (19 August 2021). EpiPen $345 Million Settlement: Claim Your Portion. CTWatchDog. Retrieved 15 September 2021 from https://ctwatchdog.com/health/medicine/epipen-345-million-settlement-claim-your-portion
5Yahoo!Finance. (30 July 2021). If you purchased Windex® Original Glass Cleaner, Windex® Vinegar Glass Cleaner, Windex® Ammonia-Free Glass Cleaner, or Windex® Multi-Surface Glass Cleaner with a “non-toxic” label between January 1, 2019 and July 9, 2021. Retrieved 15 September 2021 from
6Hayes, Rob. (2 September 2021). Beverly Hills: Lawsuit accuses police department of racially profiling Black people on Rodeo Drive. ABC7 News. Retrieved 15 September 2021 from https://abc7.com/beverly-hills-police-racial-profiling-scooter/10993075/
7Scripps Media. (1 September 2021). Wawa paying up to $9M in cash, gift cards to settle class action lawsuit after 2019 data breach. WTKR. Retrieved 15 September 2021 from https://www.wtkr.com/news/wawa-paying-up-to-9m-in-cash-gift-cards-to-settle-class-action-lawsuit-after-2019-data-breach
8Sessa, Michael. (2 September 2021). Student files class action lawsuit against SU over data breach that affected 10,000. Daily Orange. Retrieved 15 September 2021 from http://dailyorange.com/2021/09/student-sues-syracuse-university-data-breach-exposed-nearly-10000-names/
9Hayes, Peter. (27 August 2021). Baby Food Makers Hit With RICO Allegations Over Heavy Metals (1). Bloomberg News. Retrieved 15 September 2021 from https://news.bloomberglaw.com/class-action/baby-food-makers-hit-with-rico-allegations-over-heavy-metals
10Kelleher, Jennifer Sinco. (9 June 2021). Virus outbreaks in Hawaii jails prompt inmate lawsuit. AP News. Retrieved 15 September 2021 from https://apnews.com/article/hi-state-wire-hawaii-coronavirus-pandemic-lawsuits-health-664f209701df962caf10f58011060516