When do you really need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
August 17, 2016 | Personal Injury Law
It can be hard to know which injuries warrant contacting a personal injury lawyer. Not every case requires an attorney, and some cases can even be handled on your own in Small Claims Court—but personal injury lawyers can handle a wide variety of situations. Whether you’ve been injured in a car accident or bitten by a neighborhood dog, it’s a good idea to have someone help you navigate complex insurance companies and make sure you’re treated fairly.
If you’re on the fence about hiring a personal injury lawyer, you should know the benefits of doing so. Here are five benefits of hiring a personal injury lawyer to handle your legal representation:
- You could receive a larger settlement.Most people don’t know how much their claims are actually worth, but a personal injury lawyer does. A 1999 study shows that individuals can receive settlements 3.5 times larger with legal assistance than without. Attorneys work hard to establish your injuries’ worth to get you the biggest settlement possible. In many cases, personal injury lawyers work on contingency, meaning if they don’t win your case, you don’t pay any money. You may not get as large a settlement as the McDonald’s hot coffee lawsuit, but personal injury lawyers can help you get what you need without excruciating effort on your part.
- They have advanced knowledge of insurance companies. Personal injury lawyers spend their days dealing with the advanced and complicated policies of insurance companies. They know what it takes to get a large, fair settlement—and will make sure that you get what you deserve. They’ve likely dealt with cases similar to yours, so they’ll be able to let you know what to expect.
- They understand accident-related injuries. Most lawyers also have a lot of experience with the auto insurance industry, which can help you to negotiate and get the best settlement possible. They frequently deal with cases involving minor and serious injuries, and can often recommend the types of medical exams you should schedule. Because lawyers spend so much of their career helping those with accident-related injuries, they know the long-term effects, helping you decide on a fair settlement.
- Lawyers understand the legal process. This is one of the most important reasons to hire a personal injury lawyer. Even if you have a good idea of what your personal injury settlement might be worth, you will be unfamiliar with the legal processes involved in petitioning or mediating a claim. Personal injury lawyers can accurately and efficiently file legal documents and complete forms, possibly helping you to win a case that may otherwise have been lost due to a lack of legal knowledge.
- They can go to trial. Most personal injury trails don’t even go to trial because they are settled out of court. Even if you don’t plan on going to trial, being represented by an attorney shows insurance industries that you mean business. Chances are, this decision will motivate insurance companies to make a decision earlier or offer you a larger settlement.
If you’re thinking about hiring a personal injury lawyer, it’s important to be well informed, especially if you have a limited knowledge of the legal process. Personal injury lawyers can help you get what you deserve while saving you time, money, and headaches.
If you or someone you know were injured, an experienced Denver auto accident lawyer can help you understand your rights and discuss your options for recovering the compensation you deserve.