Englewood Personal Injury Lawyers
Every day, over 100,000 people in the United States seek treatment for injuries. Although injuries are common, most people are unprepared for a life-changing injury. From slip and fall to motor vehicle accidents, injuries can lead to unexpected medical bills and other expenses that create financial challenges.
Bachus & Schanker’s Englewood personal injury attorneys look after your legal needs while you recover. We’ll help you determine how much compensation you deserve and fight for you to receive justice for your injuries.
Bachus & Schanker Wins – Over $1 Billion Recovered
What is a personal injury lawyer?
Personal injury lawyers help victims recover damages when another party’s negligence causes injuries or property damage. Like other lawyers, personal injury attorneys spend seven years earning an undergraduate and law degree. These legal experts specialize in tort law during law school, studying relevant cases and learning about tort law precedents they can use to prepare their clients’ cases.
Why is having a personal injury lawyer important?
Insurance companies and at-fault parties may be anxious to resolve a claim after an accident. Injury victims often receive settlement offers worth a fraction of what they would receive if they had an attorney. Personal injury lawyers use their legal expertise to fight for justice for their clients.
What is the role of a personal injury lawyer in a case?
Our Englewood personal injury law firm provides all the essential legal services required to fight your case, including the following:
- Investigate the accident
- Prepare legal paperwork
- File your case with the courts
- Have the defendant served
- Calculate the amount of damages to seek
- Attend settlement conferences
- Appear in court
- Speak on your behalf
- Explain your legal options
- Resolve settlement agreements
- Ensure your case is filed on time
- Ensure your case progresses
- Ensure you sue the at-fault party
- Have evidence supporting your claim
- Protect your legal rights
- Receive expert legal counsel
In addition to those benefits, Bachus & Schanker has a Victim Advocate Team that helps investigate cases. Staffed by former law enforcement professionals and legal experts, our Victim Advocates can provide community support and help you secure financial assistance while your case is underway.
The most common types of injury cases in Colorado
Many injury cases in Colorado stem from similar incidents. The following are the most common injury sources in Colorado, accounting for over 80% of all of Colorado’s injury-related hospitalizations from 2012 to 2014:
- Car accidents: Car accidents may result in severe injuries, including traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), organ damage, and broken bones.
- Falls: In addition to millions of older adults suffering from falls each year, people of all ages can be victims of slip and fall accidents. Many fall victims suffer from catastrophic injuries, including TBIs and bone fractures.
- Suicide: There may be grounds for a wrongful death lawsuit if a victim of medical malpractice, sexual assault, or other traumatic events dies from suicide.
- Unintentional drug overdoses: Unintentional drug overdose victims include victims of medical negligence.
Types of personal injury cases we represent
Our Englewood personal injury lawyers have an impressive record of success handling multiple case types, including the following:
- Bicycle accidents: Bicyclists often need extensive medical treatment after an accident and may require compensation for missing work.
- Car accidents: Car accident cases can involve seeking compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and property damage.
- Catastrophic injuries: Catastrophic injuries are life-altering. These are the most severe injuries people incur, including permanent injuries or injuries that take several months to recover.
- Dangerous or recalled drugs/products: Dangerous drugs can cause harmful side effects. Dangerous products can cause catastrophic injuries or death.
- Medical malpractice: Victims can take legal action when medical experts fail to provide an expected standard of care or provide the wrong diagnosis or treatment.
- Pedestrian accidents: Pedestrian accidents often involve pedestrians struck by vehicles. These accidents often cause severe injuries or death.
- Sexual assault: Most victims don’t report sexual assault or rape to the police, and less than 51% of reported cases result in an arrest. Often, the only justice sexual assault victims receive comes from filing a personal injury claim in civil courts.
- Slip and fall accidents: Falls occur frequently and often cause severe injuries. Victims can seek compensation to cover expenses and trauma related to their injuries.
- Truck accidents: The difference between a car and a truck accident is the type of vehicle involved. Car accidents refer to passenger vehicles, such as minivans, light trucks, and cars. Truck accidents involve large vehicles, such as buses, eighteen-wheelers, and construction vehicles.
- Workers comp and employment law: Individuals injured at work may need a legal team to protect their rights. When injured individuals are terminated, they may also have grounds for a wrongful termination lawsuit.
- Wrongful death: The most severe incidents result in a person’s death. When this occurs, the decedent’s family members may choose to fight for compensation through a wrongful death lawsuit.
Steps for filing a personal injury claim
Filing a personal injury case may sound complicated, but the process is straightforward. The steps involved include the following:
- Schedule a free consultation: You can talk to us without paying a cent. Book a free consultation with our attorneys today to discuss your situation and discover your legal options.
- Hire your attorney: Once you decide to pursue legal action, you’ll hire your attorney or file your case yourself. When you hire us, we’ll prepare the legal paperwork required and file the paperwork with the courts.
- Discovery/investigate: The discovery process involves investigating the incident that caused your injuries. Our Victim Advocates collect evidence to support your claim during this stage. We ensure we identify all potential defendants and build a compelling case.
- Settlement negotiations: Parties must fulfill many pre-trial steps during a personal injury case, including settlement negotiations. The parties usually try to resolve the case out of court because this reduces the costs and time involved. Your injury attorney will represent your interests during these negotiations and explain any offers made.
- Trial: Your case will proceed to trial if it isn’t resolved through negotiations. Your lawyer will present evidence supporting your claim, question witnesses, and cross-examine defense witnesses during the trial. If you don’t hire an attorney, you’ll need to prepare your case and familiarize yourself with court procedures so you can perform these tasks.
Damages you can recover from a personal injury in Englewood, Colorado
Injury victims can seek economic and non-economic damages through their personal injury claim. Economic damages are bills associated with the incident. Non-economic damages cover compensation for the incident’s personal impact on your life.
Economic damages can include the following:
- Child care costs
- Lost wages
- Job retraining costs
- Medical expenses
- Property repairs
- Property replacement costs
- Transportation expenses
Non-economic damages include compensation for the following:
- Loss of intimacy
- Pain and suffering
Some personal injury victims can seek punitive damages. Punitive damages are limited to cases involving defendants whose dangerous conduct caused harm.
How long does it take to get a personal injury settlement?
The time required to resolve your case varies. Severe cases may take longer to resolve because you need more medical tests to verify all injuries you suffered and get a clear prognosis. Cases also take longer if they go to trial. However, you may resolve your case in a few months if you receive a reasonable settlement offer.
How are settlements paid out?
You may receive a single payment for the total compensation offered or several smaller payments spread out over several years.
What if the defendant can’t afford to pay the settlement?
The defendant’s insurance company pays the settlement in most personal injury cases. However, suppose a defendant doesn’t have insurance. In that case, you can file a collection claim against the defendant to receive the judgment. You’ll receive money through wage garnishment, and the claim can also place a lien against the defendant’s property. In that case, the defendant must pay the debt owed to remove the lien.
Do I have a personal injury case?
Victims must prove the at-fault party’s negligence to win a personal injury case. In some cases, victims aren’t sure who’s liable for their injuries or how to prove negligence. That’s why talking to a personal injury lawyer is crucial.
An injury lawyer can identify the party that caused your injuries and work to prove the at-fault party acted inappropriately or failed to take reasonable actions under the circumstances leading to your injuries. An injury lawyer can also verify how much compensation you could receive from your claim.
How much is my Englewood personal injury case worth?
Injury victims receive settlements or judgments when they win their cases. The amount claimants receive depends on several factors, including the following:
- Severity of injuries
- Related expenses incurred
- Property damage costs
The average settlement for catastrophic injury cases is $75,000. However, severe cases with grounds for punitive damages could award victims several times that amount.
Statute of limitations for a personal injury claim in Colorado
Every personal injury victim has a deadline for filing a claim. This deadline is the statute of limitations. The deadline is set by the state where the incident occurred. In Colorado, the deadline for filing a claim depends on the incident. Car accident victims have up to 36 months to file a claim. However, you must file claims for any other injury or property damage source within 24 months from the incident’s date.
How much does it cost to hire a personal injury lawyer?
You have enough to cope with after a personal injury, and paying legal fees shouldn’t add to your stress. That’s why Bachus & Schanker charges contingency fees. In addition to your free consultation, we’ll provide all legal services without charging you anything until we win your case. Once your case is resolved, we will receive a percentage of your settlement, which covers our fees.
How the personal injury lawyers at the Bachus & Schanker law firm can help you
Our Englewood personal injury lawyers are ready to help you get the justice you deserve. We’ll gather the evidence needed to prepare your claim. Once we build your case, we’ll strive for you to receive the compensation you deserve. We handle all the legal matters required to secure your injury claim so you can prioritize your recovery.
Emergency Department Visits. (2023).
Facts About Falls. (2023).
Goguen, D. (2023). What is the Personal Injury Statute of Limitations in Colorado?
Injury in Colorado. (2023).
Personal Injury. (2013).
You Deserve Fair Compensation
Don’t let the insurance companies intimidate you into accepting less than you deserve. We’re ready to fight for you.