Picking the Right Medical Malpractice Lawyer
According to The True Cost of Healthcare, malpractice claims are on the downward trend in Colorado. Just over 120 claims were filed in 2015, the most recent data. If you’re one of the unlucky ones injured as a result of medical negligence, you need an experienced legal expert on your side. With some research and due diligence, you can find the best medical malpractice lawyer for you.
Look for these qualities and ask yourself these questions about any potential medical malpractice attorney:
- Experience: How long has the attorney been practicing? How many medical malpractice cases have they had? The more legal experience your lawyer has, the better they will navigate the complex procedures of your medical malpractice case.
- Specialization: Does the lawyer or firm specialize in medical malpractice law? What percentage of their caseload is dedicated to medical malpractice? If most of the cases your attorney takes on are medical malpractice cases, their expertise and familiarity with malpractice law will improve your case’s chances.
- Network: Does the attorney know many medical experts? Do they have good relationships with these experts? Your malpractice attorney needs to consult experts to build your case, so an extensive network of medical professionals will benefit your case immensely.
- Trustworthiness: Did someone you trust recommend you to this lawyer? Do they have good online reviews? A lawyer you can trust means a good working relationship, and better odds of settling your case.
- Rapport: Is the attorney a good personal fit? Do they speak your language? If you don’t get along well with your lawyer, you won’t work together effectively to win your case.
- Association memberships: Are they in good standing with the state bar association? Are they a member of the American Trial Lawyers Association and other legal groups? If not, you may want to look elsewhere.
In Colorado, the statute of limitations for a medical malpractice case is usually two years. Contact an attorney early, as soon as you discover the medical injury, for the best chances of getting a settlement. Contact Bachus & Schanker, LLC today for a free case evaluation.
Free Case Consultation
No risk and no cost to you or your family