Nursing Home & Elder Abuse Statistics
Elder Abuse & Nursing Home Abuse Statistics
In 2007, 1.3 million elderly people lived in nursing homes. That same year, there were nearly 20 complaints of abuse reported per nursing home! It is critical – as the older population in the US increases – that families and friends of the elderly be aware of the risk factors for abuse in nursing facilities.
Bachus & Schanker has compiled the following infographic to create awareness of the types of abuse Nursing Home residents may be at risk for, including neglect, emotional, physical, sexual and financial abuse. It is important to know that many states are actively tracking abuse complaints and attempting to prevent future Nursing Home Abuse.
Visit nursing home abuse and neglect for more information.
If you or a loved one has been a victim of Colorado nursing home abuse or neglect, contact the attorneys at Bachus & Schanker to learn more about your rights and how we can help. Call 866.436.8388 for a free consultation.
Additional Resources on Elder Abuse:
- AARP Elder Watch – Report financial elder abuse in Colorado
- National Adult Protective Services Association
- Nursing Home Compare – A service from Medicare.gov
- Silver Alert
Sources for the Nursing Home Abuse Infographic include:
- Abuse of Adults Age 60+ The 2004 Survey of Adult Protective Service. February 2006. National Adult Protective Services Association. http://www.apsnetwork.org/Resources/docs/AbuseAdults60.pdf
- AGing Integrated Database State Program Reports.
- A Profile of Older Americans: 2008. 2008. Administration on Aging U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Broken Trust: Elders, Family and Finances. March 2009. MetLife Insurance Company.
- Understanding Elder Maltreatment. 2010. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.