Fort Collins Car Accident Attorney
A car accident can have devastating consequences on victims and their families. Depending on the accident’s severity, you could be left with unpaid medical bills and painful injuries that impact your ability to work and enjoy life. If another person’s negligence caused the crash, you deserve compensation for your losses.
The Fort Collins car accident attorney team at Bachus & Schanker is ready to fight for your rights. We’ll ensure the responsible party is held accountable and you get the financial support you’re entitled to under the law.
Bachus & Schanker Wins – Over $1 Billion Recovered
How do I know I need a car accident lawyer?
When the insurance companies minimize your injuries or deny your claim, a car accident lawsuit can help you get the compensation you deserve. However, the legal process can be overwhelming as you recover from your injuries. Hiring a car accident attorney means you have legal expertise on your side. A lawyer can help with:
- An in-depth investigation of what caused the crash
- Gathering evidence to prove negligence and fault
- Speaking to the insurance adjusters on your behalf
- Aggressive negotiation to reach a fair settlement
- Expert representation in court if your case goes to trial
A car accident lawyer can also connect you with valuable resources and support during the difficult time following a car wreck. If you suffered injuries in a car accident that wasn’t your fault, speak with an experienced auto accident attorney to learn more about your legal options.
How do I choose a car accident attorney?
If you want the best auto accident law firm Colorado has to offer, you should consider their experience with personal injury cases, how they treat their clients, and their knowledge of the law.
Our car accident lawyers in Fort Collins offer legal services and comprehensive representation to get justice for our clients with:
- More than 25 years of experience helping Colorado car accident victims
- Over $1 billion won in verdicts and settlements for our clients
- Dedicated attorneys who focus exclusively on car accident claims
- In-depth knowledge of the local Fort Collins laws and legal system
- Supportive, compassionate representation in and out of court
Contact our law office to schedule a free consultation to learn about our services and how we can help you claim compensation for your losses.
Can I afford to hire a car accident attorney?
Many accident victims assume they cannot afford legal representation — even when the insurance companies unfairly deny their claims. At Bachus & Schanker, we believe every injury victim deserves legal representation regardless of their financial status. That’s why we work on contingency fees and never require an upfront payment.
You only pay for our services if you win your case. That’s how confident we are in our legal skills and ability to secure compensation for our clients. If you need an attorney who will fight for you, contact us to speak with a personal injury lawyer in Colorado now.
What are common car accident injuries?
Although safety features are improving in today’s vehicles, car accidents still result in injuries. According to the National Safety Council, there were about 4.8 million medically-consulted motor vehicle injuries in 2020. Many of them included these common car accident injuries:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Other neck and back injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Scrapes and lacerations
- Fractured bones
- Internal bleeding
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Anxiety and depression
What are the common causes of car accidents in Fort Collins?
According to data provided by the City of Fort Collins, common severe crash types in the city are:
- Bicycle crashes – 22%
- Rear-end crashes – 16%
- Approach turn crashes – 14%
- Right angle crashes – 14%
- Fixed object crashes – 11%
- Pedestrian crashes – 8%
- Other types of severe crashes – 15%
Some reasons these types of accidents occur in Fort Collins and throughout Colorado include:
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI) – According to the Colorado Department of Public Safety, drunk driving is a leading cause of fatal car crashes in the state.
- Distracted Driving – Distracted driving caused by texting, checking email or social media, and other distractions can increase reaction times and the ability to avoid hazards.
- Speeding – As driving speeds increase, collisions become more serious and injuries more severe.
- Poor Weather Conditions – Colorado’s inclement weather can create dangerous driving conditions that lead to crashes.
- Road construction – Construction zones have reduced speed limits due to active workers, equipment, and other hazards. When drivers fail to follow the caution signs, crashes often occur.
What are the most common places that car accidents occur in Fort Collins?
The City of Fort Collins Annual Roadway Safety Report shared where most motor vehicle accidents occur. The top 10 intersections that saw the highest number of crashes were:
- College Ave. & Horsetooth
- College Ave. & Trilby
- Shields St. & Prospect Rd.
- Mason St. & Harmony Rd.
- Lemay & Harmon Rd.
- Timberline & Carpenter
- College Ave. & Drake Rd.
- Lemay & Drake Rd.
- Shields St. & Drake Rd.
- Shields St. & Mulberry St.
What are the minimum auto insurance requirements in Colorado?
Colorado requires drivers to carry the following minimum auto insurance coverage:
- $25,000 – for bodily injury or death per person
- $50,000 – for bodily injury or death per accident
- $15,000 – for property damage per accident
These minimum requirements are mandatory to drive in Fort Collins or anywhere else in the state. However, Colorado drivers can choose to purchase insurance policies offering expanded coverage beyond the minimum.
How do I prove liability in a car accident?
Proving fault for a car accident is crucial to winning your case. If you show that another person was negligent, caused the accident, and is responsible for your damages, you may qualify to bring a legal claim for compensation.
Some types of evidence that can help you prove liability are:
- Pictures and video footage from the accident scene
- Images and documentation of your injuries
- Medical records, treatment plans, and prognosis from a medical professional
- Statements from car accident witnesses
- Testimony from crash experts
An experienced motor vehicle accident lawyer can help you gather the evidence you need to make your claim successful. Contact our personal injury attorneys to schedule your free case evaluation with our team.
What damages can I recover in a car accident case in Fort Collins?
If you decide to take legal action after a car accident, you may be able to claim compensation for the following damages:
- Medical care (current and future costs)
- Rehabilitation costs
- Transportation for treatment
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages (in particular circumstances)
The full value of your case depends on what damages you sustain and the extent of those damages. To understand what your case may be worth, speak with an auto accident attorney who can identify and evaluate your losses.
What should I do after a car accident in Fort Collins?
After a car accident, it’s essential to take the proper steps to stay safe, get the medical attention you need, and ensure you have the best chance of securing compensation with a car accident claim.
Here are the steps to take after a Fort Collins motor vehicle accident:
- If possible, move to a safe area away from other vehicles.
- Call 911 and request medical assistance.
- File a police report.
- Contact your insurance company to inform them of the incident.
- Take photos of the accident scene, including damage to your car and road conditions.
- Collect insurance information and contact details from the other parties and any witnesses.
- Contact a lawyer to learn more about your rights as an accident victim.
- Work with your attorney to file a car accident claim for fair compensation.
Working with an attorney will improve your chances of the insurance companies taking your claim seriously. When they know you have legal representation on your side, the insurance adjusters are more likely to pay you what you deserve. If they don’t, let us help you bring a personal injury claim to get justice for what happened to you.
Is there a car accident attorney near me in Fort Collins?
Bachus & Schanker serves the Fort Collins community with compassionate legal representation after a car accident in Larimer County. We also have offices throughout the state, including Colorado Springs, Englewood, and Denver, Colorado.
Our law firm specializes in helping victims of car accidents, motorcycle accidents, truck accidents (including semi-truck accidents), and pedestrian accidents. Contact us now to schedule a free consultation.
Motor Vehicle Overview. (2018).
SWOV Fact Sheet. (2012).