Colorado Springs Car Accident Lawyer
A car accident can change your life in an instant. On top of painful injuries, you may face unpaid medical bills and insurance adjusters pressuring you to accept less than you deserve. The Colorado Springs car accident lawyers at Bachus & Schanker can help you through this difficult time with comprehensive legal representation and support.
Bachus & Schanker Wins – Over $1 Billion Recovered
HOW DO I KNOW IF I NEED A LAWYER AFTER A CAR ACCIDENT?
Getting fair compensation for injuries after a motor vehicle accident can be complex. When the insurance companies minimize or deny your claim, it may be time to consider taking legal action.
Bringing a car accident claim against the responsible party can help you get the maximum compensation for your losses. An attorney can help by:
- Conducting an in-depth investigation of the accident
- Gathering evidence and building a strong case
- Using experts for accident reconstruction
- Identifying and calculating your damages
- Speaking to insurance adjusters on your behalf
- Negotiating a settlement that reflects all your losses
- Representing you in court if the case goes to trial
If you were the victim of a car accident and are unsure what to do next, contact an auto accident law firm to learn more about your legal options.
HOW DO I CHOOSE A CAR ACCIDENT ATTORNEY?
When choosing a car accident lawyer, make sure they specialize in car accident cases and have a record of success. You want to work with a legal team that offers advocacy, support, and resources to help you and your family rebuild your lives after this traumatic event.
At Bachus & Schanker, we’ve been helping car accident victims get justice for more than 25 years. We’ve secured over $1 billion in settlements and verdicts for our clients and continue to serve the Colorado Springs community with compassionate and dependable legal representation.
WHAT TYPES OF DAMAGES CAN BE RECOVERED IN A CAR ACCIDENT CASE IN COLORADO SPRINGS?
If you suffered injuries and other damages after a car accident caused by another person’s negligence, you deserve compensation for those losses. You may be able to recover:
- Medical bills
- Ongoing treatment
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages (in some cases)
To understand the full value of your case, contact our team to schedule a free consultation. We’ll evaluate your losses to see what your claim may be worth.
CAN I AFFORD A CAR ACCIDENT ATTORNEY IN COLORADO SPRINGS, CO?
Many car accident lawyers will work on contingency fees, which means you only pay if you recover damages. However, some attorneys may try to take advantage of accident victims and charge unreasonable hourly attorney fees.
Our car accident attorneys offer complete legal services with no upfront payments. That means you owe us nothing if you do not win your case, and you only pay when we secure compensation for your damages through a successful car accident claim.
WHAT ARE THE COMMON CAUSES OF CAR ACCIDENTS IN COLORADO SPRINGS?
Colorado is home to some of the most dangerous roads, including Black Bear Pass, the Million Dollar Highway, and I-25 between Denver and Colorado Springs. Due to hazardous road conditions and driver factors, common car accident causes include:
- Drunk Driving – According to the Colorado Department of Public Safety, driving under the influence (DUI) remains one of the top causes of injury and fatal car crashes.
- Distracted Driving – When drivers become distracted, they have a slower reaction time and may miss hazards on the road before it’s too late. Distracted driving may include texting, talking on the phone, eating, and excessive passenger distractions.
- Speeding – Exceeding the designated speed limit puts everybody at an increased risk for accidents, including car crashes, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, and pedestrian accidents.
- Inclement Weather – Poor weather conditions in Colorado Springs are not uncommon. When drivers do not take reasonable care when driving in snow, rain, and other hazardous conditions, it can quickly lead to an auto accident.
- Construction – Road construction is another factor that can lead to accidents in Colorado Springs if drivers aren’t paying attention to caution signs or reduced speed limits.
WHERE DO CAR ACCIDENTS OCCUR MOST IN COLORADO SPRINGS?
According to a special report shared by KRDO with information from the Colorado Springs Police Department (CSPD), here is a list of the top 5 most dangerous intersections in Colorado Springs based on car accident injuries and fatalities:
- I-25 & S. Nevada / S. Tejon
- I-25 & Garden of the Gods
- I-25 & Lake / S. Circle
- I-25 & W. Fillmore St.
- I-25 & W. Uintah St.
What types of injuries are common after a car accident?
While almost any injury can result from a crash, many car accident victims suffer these common injuries:
- Whiplash and other neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Concussion and other traumatic brain injuries
- Scrapes, cuts, and lacerations
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Severe anxiety
- Depression and other mental injuries
How do I prove liability in a car accident?
Proving liability in a car wreck involves several steps:
1. Prove there was a duty of care.
The victim must first show that the driver had a duty of care. In the case of a car crash, all Colorado drivers have a duty to exercise reasonable caution while operating a motor vehicle.
2. There was a breach of the duty
If the driver disobeyed traffic laws, drove recklessly, or failed to avoid a hazard as a reasonable person would, that driver was negligent. Car accident victims can claim damages when another party’s negligence caused the crash.
3. The driver’s negligence caused the accident.
The next step is to prove that the accident is connected to the driver’s negligent actions. If the driver was negligent and almost caused an accident, that isn’t enough to take legal action with a personal injury case.
4. The accident caused physical damages.
The final element in proving liability and claiming compensation is to confirm that the driver’s negligence resulted in physical damages, including bodily injuries and property damage.
Proving these elements takes time and skill to conduct an investigation, collect evidence, and build a comprehensive case that shows the other party’s negligence. Working with a car accident attorney can ensure you don’t make costly mistakes or miss essential steps during the claims process.
What are the minimum auto insurance requirements in Colorado?
In Colorado Springs and throughout the state, drivers are required to carry the following minimum coverage to drive legally in Colorado:
- $25,000 – for bodily injury or death per person
- $50,000 – for bodily injury or death per accident
- $15,000 – for property damage per accident
Although these are mandatory auto insurance minimums, you can purchase policies that offer higher limits and different types of coverage. However, according to the Colorado General Assembly, you must have at least this liability insurance coverage.
What should I do after a car accident in Colorado Springs?
A car accident can cause confusion and overwhelm, especially in the moments immediately following the collision. To help, here are some things you should do after a car accident:
- Move to a safe place.
- Call 911 and ask for medical assistance if needed.
- File a police report.
- Contact your insurance company to share details of the accident.
- Take photos of the accident scene, damage, and injuries.
- Collect witness contact information and ask if they may be contacted.
- Speak with an auto accident lawyer to see what your options might be.
- Take legal action if the insurance company fails to pay you fairly.
If you were injured in a car crash, semi-truck accident, or other motor vehicle collision, consider working with a personal injury lawyer in Colorado to get the maximum financial relief for your losses. Accident victims have rights and shouldn’t have to pay for other people’s mistakes.
For the most trusted car accident attorneys in Colorado Springs, contact Bachus & Schanker today to schedule a free consultation.
Bedsole, B. (2021). Special Report: Colorado Springs’ most dangerous intersections.
Colorado Department of Public Safety. (2022). Colorado Division of Criminal Justice Publishes Report on Colorado DUI Offenses.
Colorado General Assembly. Mandatory Automobile Insurance in Colorado.
McKee, S. (2022). The 9 ‘most dangerous’ drives in Colorado, according to a local.