You’ve just gotten into a car accident. Whether it’s a simple fender bender or a serious crash, car accidents can be extremely scary. And figuring out what to do afterwards can be difficult, depending on the severity of the accident and the situations around you. Let’s talk about what to do after a car accident in Colorado, and how to keep yourself safe both physically and legally.
- Assess the situation. If you’ve just gotten into a car accident, the first thing you need to do is a quick physical assessment. Do you feel any pain? Do you notice any bleeding? Are you able to easily move your body? Once you’ve taken account of how you feel physically, take a deep breath. The worst is over.
- Get to a safe location. If you can easily move, look around you. Is your vehicle in a safe location? If not, can you move your car to a safe location? Once your car is in a safe place, like the shoulder of the road, put on your hazards. Assuming you are not severely injured, exit the vehicle.
- Check on the other party. While you might be okay enough to get out of your vehicle, the other person might not be so lucky. Check to make sure any other drivers, pedestrians, or passengers are okay. If anyone is injured, dial 911 to alert authorities and emergency medical professionals.
- File a report. Even if no one was injured in the accident, it’s always a good idea to file a police report. The other person involved in the accident may seem like a nice person, but that doesn’t mean you should handle everything on your own. A police report can help your situation if you need to file an insurance claim or take legal action.
- Gather information. Take down the other party’s name, insurance information, contact information, and license plate number. If you have a smartphone or camera with you, take photos of both your vehicle and the other driver’s vehicle, the surrounding location, and any physical injuries. Take record of police officers’ names and badge numbers, and any eye witness accounts. If you think anything else is worth documenting, take a photo or a quick note on your phone.
- Contact your lawyer and insurance provider. This is the first step to ensuring you get the financial compensation you need to repair your vehicle or pay for medical expenses. File a claim with your car insurance company and give them as much information as you have. Additionally, contact your Colorado personal injury lawyer and discuss any legal recourses that may need to be taken.
The car accident lawyers at Bachus & Schanker are committed to helping you find the compensation you deserve after a car accident. Getting into an accident is stressful enough—but not receiving financial and legal compensation is even worse. With Bachus & Schanker, you don’t have to go it alone. Contact us today to speak to an auto accident lawyer about your recent car accident.