Car Accident Checklist
It can be hard to know what to do after a car accident. There are a lot of things to do. You need to take care of your health and take care of your vehicle. There are also important steps to seeking the financial compensation that you need and deserve.
Trying to remember what to do right after a collision can be tricky. Our Denver car accident lawyers have created a checklist to ensure you take the right steps after an accident.
At the Scene of the Accident
Here are the steps to take at the scene of the car accident:
- Call emergency services
- Call the police
- Take photos of the vehicles involved in the crash
- Take pictures of the accident scene
- Provide your license and insurance information to the other driver
- Get license and insurance information from the other driver
- Speak to witnesses; get their contact information
- Note the license plate, make, and model of all other vehicles involved
- Remain at the scene until you’ve spoken to law enforcement
The car accident checklist begins right at the scene of the accident. There are things that you need to do immediately while you’re at the scene of the accident to protect your best interests and comply with the law. First, you need to call emergency services. Securing medical treatment is the most important thing. It’s also a way to document your car accident injuries.
All states have laws that require you to call the police when an accident occurs. You must wait for law enforcement and give them your license and insurance information. It’s also important to collect contact information for any witnesses that saw or heard anything related to the accident. A witness may be a person in another vehicle, or they may be a third-party that witnesses the accident. In addition to gathering evidence, snapping photos of damaged cars and pictures of the accident scene can help you prove how the accident occurred and prove your case for compensation.
After the Accident
- Report the accident to your insurance company
- Contact the other insurance company
- Drive or transport your vehicle to a body shop
- Receive an initial estimate for repairs or a value for a totaled vehicle from the insurance company
- Seek follow-up medical care
- Follow your doctor’s care plan
- Save any medical documentation that you get from your doctor
- Keep records of financial losses associated with the accident
- Diary the medical treatment that you receive, time missed from work, and all other ways that the accident impacts you
- Get a copy of the police report
- Remember that deadlines may apply to your claim for compensation
Your car accident checklist doesn’t stop after you leave the accident scene. There’s important work to do to protect you and your financial interests. You need to continue to seek medical attention as needed. It’s important to know the full extent of your injuries to understand what your medical needs are in the future. Following your medical care plan also shows that you’re doing your best to minimize the damages in your case.
Car accident reports are public record. You should seek a copy of the police report as soon as it’s available. The car accident report may have valuable information about witnesses. It’s important to understand that the police officer’s opinions aren’t dispositive of fault in the case.
In addition to getting a copy of the police report right away, you should report the accident to your insurance company. You should also make contact with the other side’s insurance company. It’s important not to have any delay in reporting the accident to insurance.
With Your Claim for Compensation
- Examine your insurance policy
- Look at the other party’s insurance coverage
- Review the laws in your state to know what laws apply to the case
- Learn about the different types of compensation that you can receive in a car accident case
- Evaluate the facts of the case; realistically evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the case to have a practical idea of the strength of the case
- Examine any offers from the insurance company to settle; determine if the settlement offer is reasonable given the laws and the facts of the case
- Take legal action if necessary to recover fair compensation for the claim
- Engage in steps to gather evidence and build your case
Receiving the compensation that you deserve after a car accident requires taking action. You don’t have to simply accept the offer from the insurance company. There are many different types of compensation that you may claim in a car accident case. Medical bills, vehicle damage, and pain and suffering can all be types of compensation that you may receive after a car accident. The insurance company may hope that you don’t know the full value of your case.
The laws that apply to the case vary by state. You might bring a claim to your own insurance, to the other party’s insurance or both. It might be possible to resolve your case directly through the insurance companies; however, it might be appropriate to file a lawsuit in a state court. The best course of action depends on the law in your state and the facts of the case.
You have the right to help from a car accident lawyer. They can help you work through your checklist and ensure that you take the right steps. With their experience, you can have a personalized plan for what to do after a car accident. An experienced lawyer can help you determine whether you’re getting a fair offer from the insurance company. They can take steps on your behalf to ensure that you get fair compensation for your accident based on the specific laws that apply. Ultimately, an experienced lawyer can ensure that you handle all of the steps on your car accident checklist in the best possible way.
Contact our Car Accident Lawyers
Have you been in a car accident? Are you wondering if you’re doing the right things on your car accident checklist? Our attorneys can help.
At Bachus & Schanker, LLC, we help car accident victims with every aspect of their claim. Don’t leave it to chance. Let our car accident attorney professionals ensure that you get the justice that you deserve after a car accident. Call us today to begin.
Free Case Consultation
No upfront fees, no risk, and no cost to you or your family
Over $1 Billion Recovered. No Upfront fee.
No upfront fees, no risk, and no cost to you or your family
Immediate 45 minute consultation with our legal specialist available.
Entirely confidential - we respect your privacy, consultations are privileged.
No upfront fees, no hourly fees, only pay when we win.
Attorney Kyle Bachus knows first-hand how difficult it can be to suddenly lose a loved one in an accident. It’s also devastating when you or a family member suffers severe injuries that forever change your lives.
Kyle wrote this book as a resource from his personal experience for families who have suffered a traumatic loss.