AURORA PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER
Personal injuries from accidents can result in medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other changes to your life and livelihood. When your injuries result from another’s negligence, you deserve to be compensated monetarily.
At Bachus & Schanker, our Aurora personal injury lawyers are here to help ensure you get the maximum monetary compensation you are entitled to receive.
Table of contents
What is a personal injury lawyer?
A personal injury lawyer is a lawyer who specializes in tort law and provides legal advice and representation for people who have been in an accident and sustained injuries as a result of another’s negligence. An individual’s injuries can be physical, psychological, or both.
Our Aurora law firm provides assistance with personal injury claims to ensure our clients receive the monetary compensation they deserve for their injuries. Our lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, where we only charge legal fees if we obtain a settlement or win at trial.
Why is having a personal injury lawyer important?
After you have been injured in an accident, whether it is an auto accident, slip and fall accident, bicycle accident, dog bite, or work accident, at some point, you will have to deal with the responsible party’s insurance company. You need to remember that insurance companies are in business to make money, not pay it out in injury claims.
Therefore, the insurance adjuster’s goal is to get you to agree to the lowest possible settlement, even when you are entitled to receive substantially more. In addition, insurance companies have teams of lawyers that advise their adjusters and provide legal advice on how to get you to settle.
One tactic adjusters frequently use, even when they sound friendly, supportive, and helpful, is to attempt to get you to admit some level of fault. When they do, your claim is reduced by the percentage of fault to which you admit due to comparative negligence. And if you admit you were at least 50 percent at fault, then they do not have to pay you anything.
As you can see, having a personal injury lawyer is crucial for representing your interests. Your lawyer will deal with the insurance company, the adjuster, and their lawyers to even the playing field and ensure you get a fair settlement.
What is the role of a personal injury lawyer in a case?
The role of a personal injury lawyer is to provide you with legal representation and assist you in filing your personal injury claim for damages against the responsible party or parties. In addition, having an injury attorney handle your personal injury case provides you with the following benefits:
You are able to focus on your recovery and healing.
Your lawyer will take care of filing your injury claim for damages so you can focus on getting better. They can also provide access to valuable resources to help alleviate any financial concerns while awaiting your settlement.
Your attorney will conduct an investigation and gather evidence.
A personal injury attorney will conduct an investigation, interview witnesses, and gather evidence to support your claim. These materials can include pictures, medical reports, video camera footage, and more. An experienced attorney knows how to obtain the evidence you need.
Your lawyer files your settlement claim offer with the insurance company.
You never have to deal with the insurance company or adjuster. Your lawyer handles all negotiations on your behalf. They will submit an initial settlement claim offer after their investigation. This will open the negotiation process should the insurance company decide not to accept the initial settlement offer.
Your injury lawyer represents your interests in court.
Should a settlement not be reached, which is very rare, your case proceeds to trial. Your Aurora personal injury lawyer ensures court documents are filed correctly. They use their knowledge and expertise to do their very best to get a verdict in your favor.
How to tell if you have a good personal injury attorney?
When looking for a personal injury lawyer, you should consider each of the following signs to ensure you retain a competent attorney.
- Expertise – You want to verify the lawyer has expertise for the type of personal injury claim you need to file, such as a car accident, work accident, catastrophic injury, or wrongful death claim.
- Case Results – You should look at the Aurora law firm’s case results for an indication of how successful the law firm and its lawyers are at reaching settlements and winning cases at trial. However, remember the amounts awarded in the case results are not indicative of how much you could receive.
- Honesty, Integrity, and Objectivity – These traits are qualities found in an excellent personal injury attorney. They will be honest about the compensation you could receive, provide accurate information, and remain objective to ensure your case results are successful.
- Creativity – Sometimes, it is necessary to get creative when you are injured by another person’s negligence. Your lawyer should be able to come up with viable strategies to help prove your injury claim.
- Communication – Your attorney should be able to communicate effectively with you, provide regular updates, and remain in contact with you throughout your case. They should also be skilled at communicating with the other party, the insurance company, their lawyers, and in the courtroom, should your case go to trial.
What about reviews of the law firm and injury lawyers?
Reviews do not always accurately reflect whether the law firm and injury lawyers are good. For example, some people will leave a one-star review simply because the lawyer declined to take their case.
Suppose the lawyer was honest and objective. They could have determined that either there were no grounds for a personal injury case or the settlement the individual felt entitled to was not justifiable or obtainable.
Keep in mind that lawyers may have some negative reviews simply because they gave honest and objective legal advice.
How much is my Aurora personal injury case worth?
The value of your personal injury case is based upon several factors and damages you could be entitled to receive due to the other party’s negligence. They could include:
- All medical expenses related to your injuries.
- All mental health expenses related to your injuries.
- All costs for medical devices and prescriptions related to your injuries.
- Current and future lost wages.
- Future medical care and mental health care costs.
- Pain, suffering, and emotional anguish you experienced or are continuing to experience.
- Loss of enjoyment and loss of consortium.
In the unfortunate event your loved one dies due to the injuries, you can also seek damages for death, including all funeral-related expenses.
Speak to an Aurora Personal Injury Lawyer
When you or a loved one is injured due to another’s negligence, you need to obtain legal advice and learn how much your personal injury case could be worth. At Bachus & Schanker, our Aurora law firm, which serves Arapahoe, Adams, and Douglas counties, offers a free consultation to discuss your accident and injuries.
We will provide honest and objective legal advice, answer all your questions, and ensure you receive the monetary compensation you deserve should you have grounds to file a personal injury claim.
C.R.S. 13-21-111. (2022).
C.R.S. 13-21-124. (2022).
C.R.S. 13-21-201. (2022).
You Deserve Fair Compensation
Don’t let the insurance companies intimidate you into accepting less than you deserve. We’re ready to fight for you.