How to establish a claim
Our attorneys know that in order to determine whether a potential malpractice case exists, a medical expert must carefully review the medical care in question to determine whether the patient received substandard care and whether the substandard care caused the patient to suffer substantial injuries. At Bachus & Schanker, LLC, after an initial review by our experienced Medical Malpractice lawyers, we will have board certified and objective medical experts conduct a complete review of the circumstances surrounding the cases we believe to have merit. If a doctor certifies that the patient received substandard care, a malpractice claim may be pursued by our malpractice lawyers against those who provided medical care to the patient, including doctors, nurses, and hospitals. Generally speaking, an attorney led Medical Malpractice claim may be pursued against those who provide medical or health care to a patient, including, physicians, registered nurses, hospitals, dentists, nursing homes, and pharmacists. Medical malpractice claims may be brought on by you and your lawyer against individuals, partnerships, professional associations, and corporations.
A Colorado malpractice attorney can help you understand the Colorado Governmental Immunity Act
It is very important to know that many hospitals in Colorado are operated by state and local governments and therefore are considered governmental entities. Additionally, doctors and staff members at those hospitals may also be considered government employees. In that case your malpractice attorney will explain that under Colorado law, (C.R.S. 24-10-109) you must notify a governmental entity within 180 days of the potential Medical Malpractice in order to preserve your right to bring a claim. An attorney can help you fully understand the law and ensure that you are in compliance with the requirement. Failure to comply with the notice requirements described in C.R.S. 24-10-109 can result in losing your claim automatically. Additionally, if the hospital is a governmental entity or the doctors and staff are government employees, you may be limited to recovering a maximum of $150,000.00. Because the requirements in Colorado and throughout the country are so complex, it is often advisable to speak with a qualified malpractice lawyer in Denver to protect your ability to file a claim and obtain compensation for your injuries. (If you're injured in another Colorado city, like Colorado Springs or anywhere along the front range, our laywers can help injury victims throughout the state).
Safe Health Care Tips & Information
Our attorneys suggest that the following steps can help protect yourself and your family from Medical Malpractice and other health care dangers:
- Always keep a list of all medicines you are taking and what drug or other allergies you may have. When a doctor is prescribing medicine, ask about side effects, other warnings and what to avoid while taking the medication. Confirm with the pharmacist that you are receiving the right medication with the right dosages.
- Feel free to ask plenty of questions of your doctor or pharmacist. Make your doctor take the time to explain things to you until you feel like you fully understand.
- If your doctor refers you to a hospital for a procedure, talk to your doctor about which hospital they are referring you to and make sure that it meets your needs and standards.
- If you have to undergo surgery, make sure you, the surgeon and all medical providers agree and understand what kind of procedure you are undergoing.
- To learn about a particular physician or hospital, visit the following website http://www.healthgrades.com/
Report an Incident to the Colorado Medical Board
The Colorado Medical Board is responsible for licensing and regulating physicians and physicians' assistants in Colorado. According to the Colorado Medical Board, each year, approximately 800 complaints are made against Colorado physicians and physician assistants. To find out the status of a particular physician's license, or to report a Medical Malpractice incident to the Colorado Medical Board, please visit the following website: http://www.dora.state.co.us/medical/main-complaints.htm
Need a malpractice lawyer in Denver? We can help with a free consultation.
When you need a Colorado malpractice attorney, our law firm serves Denver and all of Colorado,including Colorado Springs/the Range, and Fort Collins. Our lawyers are professional and work hard for your rights. Don't hesitate, give our Colorado malpractice attorneys a call as soon as you need a lawyer!