9 tested approaches which help moms and dads avoid the undetectable dangers that keep children unsafe
Do you know how to distinguish the “Musts” from the “Shoulds” for your newborn safety equipment?
Maybe you have made your list? Here are the actual baby-proofing items that should be at the must-have tippy top.
I understand that we don’t all have hundreds of dollars to throw down the all-critical childproofing budget hole. To help the protection of the serious yet financially fainthearted, I’ve classified them into the “musts”, meaning that you should not care where you have them, but good parenting requires them.
When you have more than one kid (or are often distracted), consider the more distractions you have at home, the more distractable you are, the more important your baby-proofing is.
The following (in order of importance) are 9 baby proofing things you must have to maintain your baby safe:
- 1. A Good Gate: Even if you are in a ranch-style home or an apartment with no stairways, there will be rooms or areas you’ll not want your baby wandering into, so a great gate is definitely a must-have babyproofing purchase.
- 2. A Blind Winder: The number of toddlers strangled every year due to dangling blind as well as shade cords is devastating. In fact, the Consumer Product Safety Commission lists cords among the hidden hazards parent’s don’t think of. There are numerous inexpensive blind winders out there, but if you have to by hand re-wind the cord right after every use, you won’t use it.
- 3. Anti-Tip Anchors: If you have a climber (or probable climber) on your hands, furniture straps are a must. Whether it’s a dresser or a bookshelf, attach these weighty pieces of furniture to the wall with anti-tip straps to stop the furniture from tipping over.
- 4. Fireplace Safety: The hard stone around the fire place hearth can be very hazardous with little ones around. Its sharp edges and rough stone corners can cut, as well as seriously hurt the tripping child. You must choose one of the numerous good hearth bumper pads available on the market.
- 5. Corner Edge Bumpers: You can protect the corners of the end-tables and coffee tables with corner and side guards. One-sizing-fits all because you minimize the foam to fit your particular table precisely.
- 6. Outlet Covers: For used outlets with cords, you may buy a cover that could prevent your newborn from unplugging the cord and playing with the wall plug. They are best for high-traffic areas where you will be plugging and un-plugging items frequently.
- 7. Childproof Latches for Cabinets and Drawers: Drawer latches are also a necessity-have for childproofing your home. They’ll prevent your growing infant from reaching intact drawers with sharp or small items stored on the inside. Ideal for the kitchen, bathroom, or home office. Choose childproof latches that won’t let your little one to have even a hand inside.
- 8. Railing Net: Stair as well as railing nets will also be a must in case your railing spindles are further than 2.5 to 3 inches apart.
- 9. Bathtub Safety Items: Bath-time is always interesting for a growing baby. Keep it safe by using some of these little accessories:
- A bathtub thermometer to gauge water temperature.
- A bathtub safety rail to help the little one get in and out of the tub safely.
- A faucet cover that will protect her little head from nasty bumps.
These are the most significant baby safety gear items out there. Take into account them as an essential investment you will make in the years of growth and exploration still ahead of you.
About the Author: B. Ryan is currently writing for the designer baby bags for mums weblog, her personal hobby blog focused on rules to help mothers and fathers to get details to become more eco-conscious and make their own eco-friendly baby diaper bags.
Free Case Consultation
No risk and no cost to you or your family