What to do After a Pedestrian Accident
There are many cities in Colorado that are “walkable,” meaning that they’re equipped with sidewalks and public transportation that make it easy to get from place to place in the city. Colorado cities like Boulder, Englewood, and Denver are the most walkable in the state, making it relatively easy for people to walk to the grocery store, school, public library, or work.
But with the increase in walkability can also come an increase in pedestrian accidents. States can prevent this by installing patches of grass and trees between the street and the sidewalk, or by instituting safer driving speeds and laws in areas that have more pedestrian traffic. But if you find yourself walking a lot in your city, it may be helpful to know what to do if you’re involved in a pedestrian accident. Here are a few tips to help if you find yourself in such a situation.
- Get to a safe location. If a driver hits you while you’re walking, chances are you’re around lots of other cars. If you’re not severely injured, make sure you move out of the street and into a safer location, such as a nearby parking lot.
- Contact law enforcement: If you’re injured by a driver while walking, the second thing you want to do is contact law enforcement. Call 911 if you or anyone else is seriously injured. Once the police arrive, you should file a police report which will help protect you if you need to file insurance claims for any medical treatment.
- Collect driver’s information: Just like after a car accident, you should always exchange information after a pedestrian accident. This includes collected contact information and insurance policy information. If you do need to file a claim with your insurance company, or if you are injured and need medical treatment, you’ll be glad you collected this information.
- Document the accident: If you have a camera or smartphone with you, make sure to take as many photos as you can. This includes the location of the accident, any injuries to your body, as well as any damage to the vehicle. If you end up being a victim of a hit-and-run, make sure to get information from any eyewitnesses.
- Get professional assistance: Getting hit by a car is no joke. Even if you’re not seriously injured, there could be severe physical and legal problems that you need to deal with. Regardless of the severity of your injuries, it’s extremely important to seek legal help as soon as possible following a pedestrian accident.
If you’re the victim of a pedestrian accident, getting legal help is a time-sensitive issue. The attorneys at Bachus & Schanker, LLC are experienced in all type of personal injury law, pedestrian accidents included. It’s the driver’s responsibility to obey traffic laws and pay close attention while driving. If you’re involved in a pedestrian accident, you should know that you have rights. Bachus & Schanker can help you get the legal assistance and advice you need. Contact us today to get expert personal injury assistance.
Free Case Consultation
No risk and no cost to you or your family